SHARIFAH SHAFIKA ALSAGOFF
Tel: +603-2092 4822
Shafika has advised on a wide variety of Islamic banking, real estate and corporate commercial matters and has contributed articles related to developments in Malaysia’s capital markets and Islamic banking.
Being trained in Shari’ah as well as common law, Shafika has advised clients on various aspects of Islamic banking and finance utilizing various Shari’ah concepts such as Bai’ Bithaman Ajil, Ijarah, Istis’na, Murabahah and the issuance of Islamic Securities under the Shari’ah principles of Bai’ Bithaman Ajil, Ijarah and Murabahah.
Shafika began her career as an advocate and solicitor in 1995 undertaking a mixture of conveyancing, corporate and litigation matters. Over the years she has gained vast experience in the drafting of a variety of legal documentations ranging from banking and financing, corporate commercial, mergers and acquisitions, capital markets, licensing, sponsorships and consultancy agreements.
In 2002, Shafika headed the Real Estate Practice Group in Messrs Azmi & Associates wherein one of her major assignments was to advise and oversee the acquisition by the distributor of Malaysia’s national car of land and buildings all over Peninsular Malaysia. She was also advising on issues relating to amalgamation, re-alienation and sub-division of lands, sale and purchase of commercial buildings and transfer of Malay Reserved Land and Bumiputra Lots to public listed companies.
Shafika subsequently was made Deputy Head of the Financial Services Practice Group where amongst others she advised several government linked companies in the formulation of their Islamic financing scheme for their employees and drafting of the requisite documents.
From Messrs Azmi & Associates, Shafika joined the Islamic division of Messrs Zaid Ibrahim & Co and attended to a variety of assignments related to Islamic banking, finance and investments both locally and internationally.
In 2005, Shafika joined Messrs Mohamed Ridza & Co as a partner wherein she has advised and assisted both investment bankers and issuers in the structuring and issuance of Islamic securities at both domestic and international levels utilizing various Shariah concepts such as Wakalah, Bai’ Bithaman Ajil, Ijarah and Murabahah. In May 2016, Shafika participated in a forum organised by Nasdaq Dubai in association with REDmoney training on Advanced Sukuk and Islamic Securitization aimed at structuring financing solutions for clients.
Education & Qualifications
Shafika graduated from the International Islamic University, Malaysia with an L.L.B (Hons) in 1993 and thereafter spent the term of her pupilage with Messrs Sofian, Syed Ahmad & Co. Shafika is an advocate and solicitor of the High Court of Malaya and was called to the Malaysian Bar in 1994.
- Advised and drafted a varied range of housing documents which included documents for the purchase of low to medium range housing, bungalow lots and agricultural land for a major mixed development project.
- Advised on the acquisition of property by several listed companies and government linked institutions.
- Advised corporations in the formulation of its Islamic housing financing scheme and documentations.
- Advised financial institution in the formulation of its Islamic project and housing financing products and documentations.
- Advised merchant banks on the structuring of Islamic securities.
- Advised several investment banks in Sukuk Issuance.
- Advised listed companies on various corporate exercise ranging from IPO, rights issues, privatisation.