MOHAMAD NAZRAN BASIRUN
Tel: +603-2092 4822
Nazran advises foreign and local companies in respect of various corporate and commercial matters of listed and non-listed entities, including mergers and acquisitions, listings of public companies, joint ventures and project related matters with specialisation in oil and gas contracts.
He also advises foreign and local companies in matters relating to offshore business activities especially through Labuan which include advising clients on the setting up of public or private funds, advising on offshore leasing, offshore trusts etc.
Prior to joining the firm, Nazran was with Messrs Zaid Ibrahim & Co (“ZICO”) where he was a senior associate in the corporate and commercial division.
He was seconded to ZI Labuan Trust Company Ltd, a sister company of ZICO in 2003 to 2004. During his stint in Labuan he passed the interview conducted by the Labuan Offshore Financial Services Authority and qualified to become a trust officer.
Before joining ZICO, he was a legal officer at SAMP Sdn Bhd. wherein he assisted in the drafting of various legal documentations, advising the management and the board of the company, on legal and company secretarial matters, liaising with external lawyers, etc.
He is now a partner in the firm.
Amongst the matters he was involved in were:
- Advising a French company on their Technical Services Agreement.
- Drafting and advising an oil & gas company in respect of their Sale and Purchase of Shares in an offshore oil and gas company.
- Advising a public listed oil and gas company in respect of the Rapid Pengerang Utility Gas Plan Joint Venture.
- Advising a public listed oil and gas company in respect of Joint Bidding and Risk Sharing for Berantai Oil Field.
- Advising a public listed oil and gas company in respect of an FPSO.
- Advising a public listed company in respect of the proposed Acquisition of Shares in an Indonesian company and conducting due diligence on the fabrication contracts.
- Advising an American company in respect of the acquisition of a company in Malaysia and conducting due diligence on the oil and gas contracts.
- Advising an Oman oil and gas company in respect of the proposed acquisition of business and assets in Malaysia in the LPG business.
- Advising Kuwait Finance House Kuwait and Kuwait Finance House (Malaysia) Berhad on their corporate and investment banking financing matters;
- Advising Citigroup in the RM1 Billion asset-backed securisation based on Ijarah involving a telecommunication company;
- Advising a telecommunication company in relation to its concession and lease arrangement with the Government of Malaysia;
- Advising an institutional fund in its various corporate matters;
- Drafting and advising a plantation company on their listing exercise on the main board of Bursa Malaysia and its various corporate issues;
- Drafting and advising a public listed Malaysian company on various corporate matters;
- Drafting advising a French oil and gas company on various corporate matters;
- Drafting advising a French cement manufacturer company on various corporate matters;
- Advising and setting up of various investment funds through Labuan;
- Advising various clients on requirements for listing on Bursa Malaysia;
- Advising foreign clients on Malaysian regulatory framework and requirements; and
- Advising other multi- national corporations on various corporate mattes including joint venture arrangement, mergers and take-overs.
Education & Qualifications
Nazran graduated with an LL.B (Honours) from the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom and obtained his Certificate in Legal Practice in 1997.
He chambered at ZICO and was called to the Malaysian Bar in 1999.